10 Science-Based Benefits of Having a Dog
Spending time with canine companions does wonders for your wellbeing. Recent research shows that owning a dog is good for you physically and emotionally.
- Dogs make us feel less alone.
- Owning a dog can help you live longer.
- Multiple studies show that dogs and therapy dogs help alleviate stress and anxiety.
- Dogs help us recover psychologically from a crisis.
- Dogs encourage you to move.
- A dog’s presence may make people appear more likeable and attractive.
- Researchers have found that about 40 percent of dog owners had an easier time making friends.
- There’s a reason why puppies are so irresistible: a dog’s facial features possess an “infant schema.”
- A 2009 study in Japan found that staring into your dog’s eyes raises your level of oxytocin, also known as the “love hormone.”
- Dogs help seniors with cognitive function and social interaction.